Menu

Questions? 

Questions? Ask Us!

News and Events

Latest News

Latest Events

Budget and Financial Information

We recognize that a vital key to open government means an open budget process. Take a look at the budget documents for our current fiscal year funds. In addition to the budget documents below, the county holds budget hearings each May before the budget is adopted. This is the perfect opportunity for community members to voice their interest in where county funds go.

Learn how taxpayers’ funds are spent and invested to improve the health, safety and welfare of our communities.

Financial Information

FY 2019-2020

Fiscal Year 2019 - 2020 Adopted Budget Adjustments

Fiscal Year 2019 - 2020 Recommended Budget

Information and links to previous year budgets can be found in our Budget Archive.

Overview

The budget establishes $6.1 billion in appropriations for Riverside County, an increase of 6.6 percent from previous budgeted spending levels. Overall estimated revenue is projected to increase to $5.8 billion, an increase of 5.1 percent.   It’s critical to note that while revenue has increased, the county’s current costs have risen at a much faster rate than revenue projections. The difference is covered with the use of departmental reserves, net assets, and county reserves.

To keep discretionary spending within the reserve limits and continue meeting our high priorities established by the Board of Supervisors, we implemented targeted reductions, a total of $21 million, or approximately three percent.  We also reevaluated and pursued new revenue opportunities.

Total Budgeted Funds

Overall, the budget contains $6.1 billion in total appropriations across all funds, a 6.6 percent net increase of $375.4 million from the previously budgeted levels.

Total Estimated Revenue

The budget includes $5.8 billion in estimated revenues across all funds, a 5.1 percent net increase of $284 million from the prior budget estimates.

General Fund Allocations

The county general fund is the operational fund and comprises 57 percent of total appropriations. The budget includes $3.5 billion in general fund appropriations, an overall 3.9 percent increase of $129.8 million from the current budget. The majority of these allocations are designated for specific services based on state and federal government funding.

 The budget projects $3.5 billion in estimated general fund revenue, a 4.6 percent net increase of $155 million.

The Board of Supervisors has a choice to adjust and allocate discretionary general fund revenue among county services, based on need and identified priorities, over one slice of the county’s General Fund. This slice becomes even smaller when compared within the county’s total revenue. Overall, county spending is dominated by mandated core functions such as health, welfare, and criminal justice, which are heavily restricted state and federal dollars for specific purposes. While having fiduciary responsibility for oversight of the entire county budget, the Board of Supervisors has discretionary spending authority over a limited amount of the county's overall financial resources. Only 24 percent, or $837 million, of the county’s estimated general fund revenue is general purpose, with the remaining 76 percent comprised of purpose-restricted sources such as state and federal revenues. 

Questions? 

Questions? Ask Us!

News and Events

Latest News

Latest Events